3/30 #SOL18 Here Comes the Sun

Today is our first sunny day in a while and it feels oh so good! As soon as I thought about today's  post, the song Here Comes the Sun popped into my head. This made my thoughts trail to the James Taylor version which brings me back to a very significant time in my life. 

My youngest, Max, unexpectedly ended up in the NICU 36 hours after he was born. To say I was a wreck is an understatement. The hospital NICU could not support his condition so he was sent to St. Louis Children's Hospital. To make matters worse, they were not sure what was really wrong or how to fix him (at one point they mentioned bringing in the heart failure team to help them figure out what to do).

After refusing to leave Max's side through this ordeal, my husband, the doctors, and nurses encouraged me to go home and at least take a shower. Reluctantly I made the trip (luckily we were only about 15 minutes away). 

As I climbed into my car I reached for the Album, James Taylor at Christmas. There is something about his music that grounds me and it was the holiday season. I had listened to this CD for years but suddenly a new track started playing. The lyrics and sounds of James' version of, Here Comes the Sun, gave me such comfort. 

Here comes the sun, 
and I say, 
It's alright.

I listened to that album and that track every time I made the journey to and from the hospital during the time Max was in the NICU (I stayed every day and night for the 15 days he was there). That song brings me back instantly to a time full of despair balanced with hope.

Max is fine thanks to the miracle workers at Children's Hospital. He was finally diagnosed with a rare presentation of persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn. After we left I was told he had one of the worst cases they'd ever seen. But he also recovered much faster than most patients. 

I also figured out that the James Taylor album I pulled out was a different one than I had been listening to in the past (I had a double copy). Apparently I had an older version and an updated version of the album. Here Comes the Sun can be found on the most recent version.

I think it was meant to be that I put that one in on that first drive home.
Max in the cardiac intensive care unit and Max Today


Comments

  1. Music is such a powerful thing. For memory. For motivation. For our emotional sensibilities. Love the post. Love the slice. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you lived through a miracle. I'm sure Here Comes the Sun gives you vivid memories of that time. I bet now you are also filled with wonder, awe and thankfulness every time you hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a scary time. I love how the music found you and offered a ray of hope. I'm so glad this story had such a happy ending. Max, your own little ray of sunshine, is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment