3/22 #SOL18 Stacey Taylor: What's in My Bag

Every time I pick up an US Magazine, I come across the, What's in My Bag?, page. The thought, who really cares, always comes to mind. But clearly people do! So tonight, I am going to do my own personal, slightly less fabulous, What's in My Bag?, slice. It really does say a lot about my day and what I am working on with teachers (I am an ELA instructional coach in grades 3-5). So here goes:

Stacey Taylor: What's in My Bag?

Pouch of Assorted Sharpies and Post-Its
Teaching tools, like demonstration notebooks and micro-progressions, are something I talk about often with teachers. So these sharpies and post-its are key for creating those tools! My coaching partner and I got to see Kate Roberts talk about DIY Literacy this past summer and have been using these tools frequently ever since.

Tiny Notebook
I love taking notes electronically but find when I am visiting a classroom and talking with kids about their reading or writing, writing in a little notebook like this is less intimidating and more user-friendly.

Professional Texts and Resources
Right now the three books in my bag are, The Curious Classroom by Harvey Daniels, The Reading Strategies Book by Jennifer Serravallo, and Benchmark Literacy teacher resource. If you looked in my bag yesterday you would have seen Units of Study (fourth grade Narrative unit), The Writing Strategies Book by Serravallo, and Reading Nonfiction by Kylene Beers and Bob Probst.  These books are indicative of the work our teachers are doing in our district. I am just lucky enough to dive into all of these wonderful resources with them!

Must-Haves
Headphones, Ink Joy and Flair pens, presentation clicker, mechanical pencils, highlighter, hand sanitizer, and some lip gloss. 

My laptop is in there too but is not pictured. I also typically bring a rolling cart with me wherever I go because it's all too much to carry on my shoulder.

So that's it! There's a little peek into my day (and life) as a coach. Nothing too fabulous in there but it's does the job. Now, if I showed you my bag on a night out...that would be a different story. There would definitely be something fabulous in there! I'll save that for another slice. 

Comments

  1. Ha! I decided to stop carrying a purse because it was always so heavy. Instead I just have a wallet...however, I carry the wallet back and forth to school in a briefcase that is on wheels--which means now I have three times as much in my bag than when I decided to stop carrying a purse. I love your book collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen those magazine features. Starlets with their expensive eye creams and so on. I think it was clever of you to write your own. Generic lip gloss, I'll bet :) But we get a great picture of your days and work. I especially love the little notebook that is less intimidating to kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great structure for a slice! It really does reveal a lot about you and your day. Love the book selection!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment