3/21 #SOL18 Figurative Language from my Past

I've been working with a group of teachers on a writing unit. One mini-lesson centers around metaphors and similes with the next day offering seminars for the students to learn about personification and idioms. All this talk about figurative language got me thinking of some of the best phrases from my youth. I grew up in South Carolina, so a few have a unique southern flare.

Some Favorites of my Parents:
  • Your eyes were bigger than your stomach
  • Actions speak louder than words
  • I love you more than all the stars in the sky
Frequently used by my friends:
  • I feel like dookie run over twice
  • Don't get your panties in a wad
  • I'm as cool as a cucumber
I had to mention this one:

An "endearing" statement regularly used by my sorority house mom
  • You're so full of crap your eyes are turning brown

I'm pretty sure I am going to use that last one on my kids one day! Thanks for the gem Ma' Miller!










Comments

  1. I love figurative language, and also grew up in a family that used lots of it! My husband loves to make fun of the weird turns of phrase I picked up from my parents, including "pouring pitchforks" for lots of rain! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I have never hear dookie run over run over twice but I'm going to steal it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just put together poetry centers for my third graders and two of them are similes and personification. Figurative language is so fun! I love all the expressions you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was fun reading all the expressions you grew up with, and many of them are familiar to me. I hadn't thought of it before, but I imagine there are regional differences in these expressions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment