3/19 #SOL18 Something Special

There is something special about four year olds. They still find wonder in the smallest things, "Mom, did you see that bird? It just flew from the tree to the fence!!", yet they are on the cusp of becoming 'big kids', "I can do it myself!". They are the perfect balance of sweet and sassy. 
My four year old, Elise, had a classic sweet and sassy moment tonight as I put her to bed tonight. 
After finishing reading her a book, I carried her to her bed. Looking up to me with her giant blue eyes and arms outstretched, she said, "Mom, I want ten million hundred kisses and thirty seventy nine hugs". 
My heart filled with the cuteness of the moment and I began to pepper kisses all over her face and 'speed hug' her as fast as I could. She giggled and wrapped her arms around me, giving me several hugs and kisses in return. 
I leaned over and whispered, "Goodnight sweetheart", into her ear and turned to walk out of the room. But as I got not even a foot away from her tiny body she protested.
"Mooommmm! I said a thousand million kisses like this!" <pointing around her face in a circular motion>.
Still thinking this was pretty cute, I indulged. I peppered the kisses this time in a circular motion, whispered, "Goodnight sweet pea", into her ear and began to leave. To my dismay, when I motioned to leave the room, her sweet request persisted but this time not as sweet.
"No mom! I said I want my kisses like THIS <sharply pointing around her face> and REAL hugs NOT the ones you gave me!". 
I could tell from her tone and her body language that this was going no where fast. When I tried to give bid her a final farewell, she erupted into a full tantrum. In return, I decided to let her have her fit because it was all stemming from tiredness anyways. I left her room and she went into full force rage mode (you know what I am talking about if you are a parent).
I took a little namaste time to begin writing this post and escape the sounds coming from her room (which she shares with her sister which only adds another layer to this story!). Within a few minutes I could hear her cries settling down and eventually she was much more calm. Then I hear a <click> of her door opening and footsteps coming down the stairs. I turn to see those giant blue eyes looking at me. 
"Mom?"
"Yes, Elise."
"I'm sorry."
She bounded over to me and wrapped her little arms around my neck, whispered, "I love you." into my ear, then headed back to bed. 
There is really something special about four year olds. 

Comments

  1. Such a great slice. I love that combination of sweet and sassy and this window into your world. Those blue eyes! (By the way, fyi, I tried to comment on yesterday's slice several times, but was unable to do so. I'm sure the necklace and your thoughtfulness will be appreciated by your friend. My heart goes out to her and her family.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Molly! I will check my blog settings again for comments as well.Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment