3/14 #SOL18 Writing Inspiration Will Come Tomorrow, Right?

I've started this slice four times so far.

My first attempt was expressing my appreciation for amoxicillin (my daughter is home with strep).
The second was about a post-dinner walk with my family.
The third centered around my love for HGTV.
On the fourth try, the spring decor I just put out was going to be described.

Yet, despite what seems like an abundance of ideas, none of them are going anywhere beyond a handful of lines. 

I'm going to go ahead an excuse myself and allow this slice to be about this very moment. The wheels turning, the struggle to get something on the page, the reality of writing.

Maybe it was my teething one year old waking up all night that has left my brain fuzzy. Maybe it's my anxiety over feeling like I have nothing worth writing about (or that people will want to read).

Either way I am going to leave that feeling here and hope that tomorrow will be better!


Comments

  1. Tomorrow WILL be better. There are always days that are a struggle to write, but I think you did pretty well with your struggle! It brings us closer to empathy when our students say they can't think of anything to write. This would probably be a great mentor post for those days students struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post resonates with me, because I am feeling similarly. No sparks...no clever conversations. But I wrote a slice just now as well. It's really what we do with the nothingness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for making the struggle visible and for showing up. Both are big accomplishments. I can remember many nights during past challenges (and this one) when I sit and try various ideas out and nothing seems to work. That's when I tend to turn to other slicers for inspiration. Often reading someone's slice (or comments even) will spark an idea. I also have learned to keep a list of favorite structures or prompts to refer to when I'm striking out. "Currently..." is one of my favorites. (Here's a link to an old post in that structure: https://mbhmaine.wordpress.com/2017/06/13/currently-as-of-last-night/) I love reading your posts--you have lots to say and your great sense of humor infuses your pieces. Here's hoping tonight's slice comes a bit more easily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all of your support! I appreciate you during this SOL challenge!

      Delete

Post a Comment