You've Given the BAS, Now What?

Getting the Most Bang for Your Instructional Buck

The BAS is an assessment that can unveil so much about our students as readers. We can discover where our students are as decoders, thinkers, and so much more. It can give us the teaching power that is rarely matched by any other assessment. 

But to be honest, sometimes we are not sure how to unlock the power in this assessment which leaves us feeling like we're spending A LOT of time "just finding a level". 

If you're feeling like the information gained from administering the BAS isn't worth the time investment (or if you are wondering what else you can gain from this assessment), take a closer look at all of the layers you can discover with the BAS. This trajectory of BAS utlization shows how we can move from using the BAS dutifully to using it to transform our reading community. 

Trajectory of BAS Utilization


Base Layer (yellow), Being Dutiful with the BAS
I administer the BAS: I ensure that I administer the BAS to all students to find their highest instructional level
I know my students' instructional reading level

You might be here if...
  • You give the BAS because it is required
  • You record your students' instructional text levels
  • You feel the BAS is not a good use of your instructional time (because frankly, you can get the above information from another, faster assessment like the STAR)

Layer Two (green), Using Information Gained to Guide Instruction
I use the data to form small groups: I think about what level my students are and place them in groups according to that level
I use the data to gauge student book choice: I think about what I know about my students' instructional reading level and use that to determine how well students are choosing their independent reading books (ie, it's a red flag to me when I see a reader that is always choosing books that seem to be far beyond their instructional reading level. I make an effort to confer with that reader to check on their reading habits and support them as needed)
I use the data to guide my whole class instruction: When I see that over half of my class has an area of need, I tailor my instruction to meet those needs 
I make note of which kids need more support in fluency and accuracy vs comprehension: When conferring and meeting in small groups, I base what I teach my students around how they did on each main portion of the BAS

You might be here if...
  • You see value in the BAS as a jumping off point for your instruction
  • You have an appreciation for the knowledge you gain
  • The time giving the BAS sometimes feels worth it, but other times it still feels cumbersome

Layer Three (teal), the BAS Significantly Impacts Instruction
I analyze targeted portions of the BAS to guide my instruction: Not only do I know my students overarching strengths in accuracy/fluency or comprehension, I analyze the portion of the assessment where I see room for growth. 
In the oral reading portion I do this by conducting a miscue analysis. I figure out which sources of information (meaning, structure, visual) the student is leaning on more heavily and which ones they need more support with. I can also analyze how fluent they are and determine if they need more support there (rate, pausing, intonation, stress, phrasing).
In the comprehension section, I analyze in which area of comprehension there is room for the most growth. If it is "Thinking Within the Text", I consider what might be getting in their way of understanding the "right there" information (summarizing, monitoring for meaning). If it is thinking "Beyond the Text" I look to see if I find evidence of inferential thinking, predicting, connecting, or synthesizing, and make a plan to coach into the area of need. If it's the "About the Text Section" I look for evidence of the student critiquing or analyzing the text and then support the area(s) of need. *In text levels A-K the Beyond and About the Text sections are combined.  
The BAS is a jumping off point for goal setting: I know the many facets of my readers and have my personal goals in mind for each of them. I also confer with my readers and we determine their written goals together combining the knowledge (teaching power) that I have gained from the BAS and the students self selected area for growth. We celebrate the many strengths they have as a reader and draw attention their reading habits and skills. 

You might be here if...
  • You know that the time spent administering the BAS is an investment in your students and in your teaching
  • You know the BAS gives a wide-angle view of your readers and you can truly speak to their strengths and areas for growth. You feel prepared to communicate about your readers to other adults including parents and administration
  • You feel like you have an upper hand when it comes to reading instruction because you can be responsive in how you work with your students within your workshop rather than relying on a resource to tell you next steps

Layer Four (blue), The BAS is Transformative for you and your Students
  • My data collection continues through the use of running records and targeted conferences: I regularly check back in on the progress all students are making as readers. I am using the information gained from my BAS analysis to guide how I administer running records and/or talk to my students when conferring. When it comes time to the spring BAS window, there will be no big surprises as far as how much my children have grown
  • The feedback gained from my ongoing data collection is used to refine my teaching and show a continuum of learning: The pieces of information gained help me plan my instruction from day to day, child to child. I lean heavily on the data I gain to guide my work with my students during their independent work time. When I look back through my anecdotal notes and forms, I can see how students are progressing as readers and towards (or beyond) or end of the year expectations.
  • The data I collect becomes a shared experience between my students and myself. This collection helps my students have agency over turning their goals into habits: The information I gain about my readers is used as a continual feedback loop for myself and my students. I share that information with my kids in a way that promotes their reading identities, encourages reflection, and creates independence. My students are aware of their strengths and what they are working towards. We feel like we are in this together
You might be here if...
  • You see the BAS as an indispensable, high leverage tool to assess student reading behaviors
  • The BAS has changed the way you approach reading instruction
  • You already are working on steps beyond this layer (you know who you are)
Taking the Next Step
No matter where you are in the BAS trajectory, take a moment and consider how you could move forward in your thinking. This may mean adding a component within one of the above layers. It may mean pushing yourself into a whole new layer. Either way, my hope is that you will find the power in this assessment tool.












Comments