3/24 #SOL18 Everyone Needs a Conference Sometimes

Again tonight I find myself stuck. I wrote half a page about the moment when my parents told me that I was moving to Italy. But it just fizzled. That lead me to write about moments that changed my life. Again I made it halfway through the post and felt bored, uninspired by my writing. 

Maybe I am putting too much pressure on myself to write something profound, deep, touching, or funny; something people will respond to and that will resonate with others. There are so many amazing writers in this challenge, that pressure is something that gets in the way of my writing. 

This moment absolutely puts me in touch with student writers. I feel their struggle. And it is REAL.

Right now I could really use a writing conference. I need someone to toss around ideas with. I think if I had a teacher to confer with, this is how the conversation might go:

Teacher:
How's your writing going?
Me: 
I am feeling pretty stuck and uninspired. I tried to write about <topics mentioned above> but they fell flat. 
Teacher: 
Why don't you read a part of one of those posts to me?
Me: 
<I choose to read the post about the moments that change my life>.
Teacher: 
Wow, these sound like some really important, life changing moments. When you think about them, which one really stands out to you? Which one really makes you feel strong emotions.
Me: 
<I look at my list and review my topics. They all made me feel emotion but I keep going back to the time I was bullied in middle school. Upon reflection I really think this might be a topic that several people will relate to.> 
I think it's this moment here that stands out to me. I can picture my bully's face and I can remember how angry she made me feel.
Teacher:
That's it. That's what you really need to write about in this post. Authors incorporate their thoughts and feelings into their writing to make it powerful. Tell me more about this moment in your life and how you felt...
...and the conference and writing would continue. Talking, brainstorming, coaching, becoming free from the writer's block.

Everyone needs a conference sometimes.


Comments

  1. I'd love to keep someone to conference with in my pocket at all times...and not just for writing! I need conferences for hundreds of things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! We do ALL need a conference sometimes, even if we have to play both roles. I love the way you express what probably every one of us have felt at least once this month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you provided yourself with the conference you needed. I hope that you'll follow up by writing about that bully--even if only for yourself. I'm also feeling a bit overwhelmed by this final week, especially as it's combined with late night parent-teacher conferences. Nice job showing up, persevering, and finishing up with a great slice!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment