3/2 #SOL18 Here Comes 7

Here Comes Seven!

Today is the day that my oldest child, Madison, turns seven. It seems like I should be used to this growing up thing by now, but each year my kids' birthdays seem to sneak up on me in that way that only time can. 

For a week now our bedtime routine has included an extra layer of dialogue, "Mom, this is the last time you'll be tucking me in as a six year old on a <insert weekday name here>." 

Although I laugh at her sentiment every night, I find myself asking, How has time passed so quickly? How is she almost 7? 

But here she is, ready or not (more me than her), starting another trip around the sun. I can only hope every year continues to be as amazing as the ones past.

Here are my wishes for you sweet Matty: stay kind and curious, hold on to your love of reading and art, and don't forget these days when time is endless and you believe your mom is the best mom in the whole wide world. You are amazing.

Here's to seven!




Comments

  1. Happy Birthday to your daughter. Your slice captures that parental sense of time escaping us as our children grow so quickly. As a new empty nester, I echo your thought--"How has time passed so quickly?" I love this phrase: "sneak up on me in that way that only time can." You're off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know these feelings all to well. My twin daughters will be turning 8 in a few short months and "starting another trip around the sun" -- I like that. You expressed my feelings of resentment and sadness beautifully. Yes, we celebrate, but oh how I long for them to stay little so that I can protect them forever. Thanks for this slice tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Birthdays are such a bittersweet celebration. I'm sure your daughter will only see your joyful side as she gets older, yet your heart will long to stop time. What a sweet post. And happy birthday to your Matty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment